Book Review: Brother/Sister by Sean Olin

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Published by:  Penguin Australia
Publication date:  3rd October, 2011
Source:  Thanks to publisher

Will and Asheley have a troubled past. Their father left them when they were little, and their mother has just been carted off to an alcohol treatment center. Now, they have the house to themselves, and an endless California summer stretching out before them. Through alternating perspectives, they tell the story of how and why their lives spun violently out of control - right up to the impossibly shocking conclusion you'll have to read for yourself to believe.

My Review:

Brother/Sister is an intense read.  I am still trying to take it all in and I am kind of lost for words at how I am going to explain this book.

Sean Olin writing is sharp, powerful and extremely gripping.   The first chapter just grabbed me and sucked in.  Even when I wanted to stop reading because some scenes were too painful and pushed me out of my reading comfort zone, I couldn't.  I needed to know what happened.

I don't want to give much away about the plot.  Let just say that at the beginning you know something horrible has happened but you really have no idea actually how bad it is.  Brother/Sister with definitely surprise you with it's dark and shocking twists.  

Will and Asheley, the main characters, are definitely two souls you feel sorry for.  No parents that really care about them.  As I was reading all I could think was how none of this terrible stuff would have occurred if Will and Ashley actually had positive parents in their lives.  It just shows you how important a parent's role is.   However, as much my heart went out to Will and Asheley, I felt the plot was stronger than the actually characters.  I never really connected with them or understood their actions.

Overall, if you like your realistic fiction edgy, gritty and gut-wrenching this might be the perfect read for you.

Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Writing: 3.5/5
Plot: 3.5/5
Characters: 3/5
Romance: N/A
Cover: It suits the mood of this book perfectly.

For more info:  Between The Lines

For more reviews:  Daisy Chain Book Reviews

21 comments:

Skye (In The Good Books) said...

Thanks for introducing this to me -- it sounds exactly like my kind of book! Great review!

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

Weirdly, I'm a huuuge fan of edgy and gut-wrenching novels, your review makes me want to read this so bad! Especially with such a troubling premise, and that dark cover. thanks for featuring the book!

Madigan Mirza said...

Wow, I can't tell if I would like this one or not. Sometimes I'm in the mood for something really edgy, but other times not.

Cass said...

Hmm, sounds really interesting. I find myself continuously intrigued by these kinds of edgy and deep books. That cover, that title, that tagline, all seem to give a clear impression of the basic premise. Great review!

Leanna Elle said...

I agree - this one is very dark and shocking. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from it, but I enjoyed it overall and I loved the ending!!

Asheley T. said...

I feel like I'm reading about myself with that character spelling of A-s-h-e-l-e-y! Although I'm sure it's out there in this great big world, I've just never seen it before. So crazy.

Sounds like a book I would want to read, but would squirm all the way through.

~Asheley

Savannah said...

I felt this one intense as well! I mean the brother really did lose it. Poor guy! Nice review!

Jenny said...

Wow, edgy and gut wrenching? I always enjoy books like that though I wish the characters were the strong point here instead of the plot, I always love connecting to them:) I hadn't heard of this one before, so thanks for this review Nic!

Unknown said...

Edgy, gritty, gut-wrenching. This one sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the awesome review, Nic!

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

WOW! Now only if this book had characters you could connect with! Great review Nic! I'm so curious about this one now...

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

At first I'm thinking... Oh no... intense is in bold... too intense for me? However after reading the whole review, I'd have to say yes, I do! This sounds like a perfect read for me. I really want to read this one.

BURIED IN BOOKS said...

This one released in the U.S. a while back and I read and reviewed it. I really enjoyed it. After I finished I felt like I needed to read it again b/c of that last sentence. I didn't really catch on. I'd call it a psychological thriller as well as a dark realistic fiction. You really have to pay attention.

Good review and glad someone else noticed it!

Heather

A Canadian Girl said...

I enjoy gritty novels now and then but it's kind of a bummer that the characters weren't as great as the plot. I'll add this one to my wishlist though.

Rummanah Aasi said...

You got me hooked on the gritty, gut wrenching, and dark shocking twists. Too bad the characters weren't as strong as the plot. Thanks for the review, Nic, I'm putting this on my tbr pile.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

This sounds like it was made for me...a bit like Dark Song. I love intense, horribly fascinating reads. Powerful and beautiful review, Nic! :)

Ange said...

Never heard of this book before, but it does sound a really interesting and intense read. Great review

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Okay, you've managed to keep the mystery of this book a mystery. I'm definitely intrigued I just don't know if I'd be able to handle the grit.

Something about this book makes me feel like the character disconnect was on purpose. I wonder...

Awesome review Nic.

Belle said...

Great review Nic! I'm definitely intrigued... the premise and the way it's written sounds kinda like Forbidden - did you feel they were similar?

Teddyree said...

This one's new to me so thanks for your terrific review. I love "edgy, gritty and gut-wrenching" so sounds like it's one for me.

Small Review said...

I'm really curious, but I think this might be a little too dark for me. I'm tempted to ask for spoilers :)

Erin W. said...

Great review! This book looks interesting . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara